Shag a rug-rug! Yes, shag rugs are cute and super comfy. Yet, they tend to attract dirt a lot, and no one can deny that. Those long and slender tendrils frequently demand your time. They could be a tad difficult for any average to take care of.
This is why we thought of composing a post on this topic and help you solve this mystery. If this helps you, then do keep reading.
How To Clean Shag Carpet – Best Methods
If you have shag rugs at home and do not know how to clean them, then we have got you covered. We have laid down a few of the ways you may find helpful while cleaning a shag rug.
An important part and we urge you not to skip this. Even before you pick up your rug for cleaning or lay a finger on it, we advise you to remove all the furniture resting on it or take it away. It will certainly ease the process; you will get a lot of space to work around, leaving nothing to trip on.
Yes, it reminds you of a popular song. Nevertheless, you can pull up your rug,
- Hold the corners and then give it an excellent shake.
- Otherwise, you can hang it from a clothesline and beat it with a stick, broom, or something similar.
It seems like the oldest method to clean any rug, and a shag rug is no exception to this rule. Try it. It works exceptionally.
Use a Vacuum
Again, this is a trusted method that can never go wrong. See, you can always tell when your rug needs refreshing. It may not need to be stained or spilled. You can run your vac and keep it clean. Here is what you can do:
- To start with, you can sweep it a bit (to add that zing of extra cleanliness).
- Now run your vacuum cleaner and follow the instructions as per your manufacturer.
- You may have it to run at high speed to prevent the fibers from being caught. But for some vacuums, the powerful suction might damage your carpet piles. Have a quick run and see whether everything is on point or not.
- Once you notice the rug is looking lively again and puffing up, you can flip it.
- Clean the other side of the carpet, and this will help you remove debris, dust, and dirt from all layers.
- You can also take the rug out once and shake it to doubly ensure it is clean by shaking off any excess dirt.
These days you may find robotic vacuum cleaners that may also help. Yes, research a bit and see which one suits your requirements best.
Vacuuming at times may not be sufficient. So, what do you then? Don’t panic; there is a resolution for everything with us. Try using a dry shampoo. You can use wet shampoo as well if your rug’s maker says it is okay. All you need is a dry shampoo and a brush with soft bristles. After vacuuming, here is what you do then:
- Sprinkle the dry shampoo (of your choice) abundantly.
- Use the brush to work the shampoo.
- Let it soak as per the shampoo guidelines (Or give at least ten minutes).
- Then, you can vacuum it or take it out and shake it once again.
You can use this tip right away to spot clean your shag rug. All you need is a mixture of half white vinegar and half water. Then you can:
- Spray or apply this concoction to the affected area.
- Use a bit of your elbow grease to clean the spot with a microfiber cloth.
- Let it dry and see the magic.
Seek Professional Assistance
Look, you can always seek professional help if you have no clues about How to Clean Shag Carpet. Nonetheless, taking it to a dry cleaner or renting a carpet cleaner may cost you more than you may think. No one likes to pay through their nose while cleaning a carpet. Think about it.
Wash with Hand
The right old way of washing your rug by hand is still in vogue. After all, it comes down to your choice. You can use a soft bristle brush, mild detergent, and a tub or bucket of water. We want to ask you to pay attention to the care instructions before you water your rug. Follow these pointers to keep it clean:
- Vacuum your carpet.
- Now, add the detergent to warm water (or cold as per the carpet manufacturer’s directions). Dip the rug into this solution. Let it sit for, say, 10 minutes at the maximum.
- Slowly work up a lather and use the brush to remove all the stains.
- Wash away with fresh water.
- Please give it a proper wring (or as much as you can). Hang it to dry.
Regular Cleaning – Always the key
Regular cleaning of your rug can indeed keep it well-preserved. It will also last you long, and the puffiness will remain together. It means you must vacuum it or beat it on time. Remember the saying, cleanliness is next to Godliness, and keep at it. Please keep it clean and provide a safe environment for your family to dwell in.
Finally your choice
Most definitely, you want your home to be the safest place for your family to breathe in. Keep allergens at bay by investing in the right vacuum cleaner with HEPA certified filters. Run this vac on your shag rug daily to keep things neat at home.
You may also choose a steam cleaner in case your fabric allows you to take that route. Yes, they’re entirely a few options. It up to you to decide in their favor. What are you thinking?
Please do what is right for you and your carpet and let us know in the comment which way worked well.