We All Know:
Thick high pile carpets are ultra plush and ultra soft.
They make your home warm and incredibly comfortable.
Well, there is a PROBLEM.
High pile thick carpets are expensive requires extra care and supervision to keep them clean and to maintain their beauty.
Normal cleaning way may cut off its age.
And to say, with the coming robot vacuums designed for carpets cleaning, maintaining thick carpets becomes manageable and easier. But finding the best robot vacuum for thick carpets is not an easy task.
But, No worry……
We will help you find the BEST one for you with this buying guide.
First: It is important to know the key features a robot vacuum cleaner should offer as not all work well with this thick carpets. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at those:
- 1 What to Look for in a Robot Vacuum for Thick Carpet
- 2 Best Robot Vacuums for Thick Carpet
- 3 Why Only Roomba’s?
- 4 Roomba 960 – #1 Recommended Choice for Thick Carpets
- 5 Conclusion
- 6 Roomba 980 – Expensive but the Best
- 7 Conclusion
- 8 How Often Should We Clean?
- 9 How to Vacuum a Thick Long Pile Carpet (Step By Step Guide)
- 10 Thick Carpets Maintenace Tips and Tricks
- 11 Conclusion
What to Look for in a Robot Vacuum for Thick Carpet
Thick high pile carpets need gentle suction, not powerful suction.
The longer the piles are, the delicate they are. Extreme suction may pull out your carpet fibers.
So, picking the robot vacuum with gentle suction or adjustable suction feature is a must for thick carpets.
Never opt the robot vacuum with brush rolls, not even a roller bar with bristles. Because they can pull out the fibers making your carpets looks unlovely and reduces the age as well.
So, it is highly recommended to choose the robot vacuums with brushless dust extractors.
As an allergy sufferer, a pet owner and of course a dust hater, an air filter is necessary to prevent the dust and microscopic allergic particles escaping back into the air.
Choose the robot vacuum with air filters especially HEPA (High-efficiency particulate air) filters which makes you and your home allergic free.
Best Robot Vacuums for Thick Carpet
|Robot Vacuum||Gentle Suction||Brushless Rollers||HEPA Air Filters|
|Roomba 960(Editor's choice)||Yes (5X Suction)||Yes||Yes||Check on Amazon|
|Roomba 980||Yes (10X Suction)||Yes||Yes||Check on Amazon|
Why Only Roomba’s?
Most of the present market robot vacuums work well on low and medium pile carpets. Not on thick carpets. There are very few specialized thick carpet cleaning robot vacuums out there.
After spending hours of time in research, we found only two robot vacuums (Roomba 960 and 980) with features must for thick carpet cleaning:
- They both have powerful suction enough to grab the dust and pet hair effectively but not that extreme as few conventional vacuum cleaners which might damage your carpets.
- They both have rubber rollers (tangle free extractors) have no brushes which prevent carpets high pile fibers and pet hairs from tangling. No cleaning necessary compared to the other robots.
- They both came up with the HEPA filters well worth it if you have allergies.
Continue reading to find the best one for you..
Roomba 960 – #1 Recommended Choice for Thick Carpets
For Black Friday deals of Roomba 960, Click here:
The first robot vacuum on the list is the Roomba 960 from the veteran company Irobot.
For those who don’t know, Irobot is the most popular company well-known for their top end robot vacuums.
As soon as you open the Roombas 960 box, you will get fascinated with its black elegant look. Its super slim profile makes it low enough to get fit underneath any furniture edges and under cabinets.
Its auto adjustable height makes it move easily between rugs and normal floors effortlessly.
Let’s check out its dirt and pet hair cleaning ability on thick high pile carpets:
Speaking of the performance, Roomba 960 works like a boss to make your thick carpets PERFECT clean. The key aspect of the Roomba 960 that makes it great for cleaning thick high pile carpets is that it offers five times the air power compared to the normal robot vacuums.
In testing, we found it does a great job picking up the dust and pet hair. And also its suction is not that aggressive to damage the carpet fibers.
On a full charge, Roomba 960 will clean for around 75 minutes before needing to recharge.
And like every present robot vacuums, Roomba 960 came up with Wifi connectivity app which is actually so useful letting you start or stop the cleaning and sending you alerts when the cleaning is done (or) the dustbin is full (or) the Roomba is stuck on something (very rare). Using the app you will be able to set at what time and how many days a week you want Roomba to clean.
Another important feature to talk, the cleaning modes, especially the spot cleaning mode which is so beneficial. By setting it, you can get it to one particular area rather than doing the whole room. Great for thick carpets cleaning where extra care is needed.
Roomba 960 has an advanced feature. It’s the Visual mapping feature. The camera and sensors armed with will map out your home so that the robot knows exactly where it is in relation to the dock and the areas it is already covered. So if the battery runs low it can simply bookmark where it is and return straight to the dock avoiding moving randomly.
In testing, we found that the rubber brush free extractors do a great job picking up large debris depending on how fluffy your carpet is though.
It came up with an extra side cleaning brush to get the dirt out from the edges and the corners of the room, an extra filter, and the handy virtual wall that limits where your Roomba can go. And the HEPA filter came equipped picks up even the microscopic dust particles great for preventing allergies.
In conclusion, the Roomba 960 is quite amazing. We highly recommend this robot vacuum as it has all features must for thick carpets cleaning. Even it is a bit pricey one, it is well worth to have for a cozy and comfortable home.
Roomba 980 – Expensive but the Best
For Best Deals of Roomba 980, check out:
Irobot’s Roomba 980 is the smartest robot vacuum came up with the same design as the Roomba 960.
It is basically their top of the line Roomba model.
Roomba 980 is just a sort of an incremental upgrade compared to 960. The 980 is ditto the same in terms of overall features, except the following improvements: Carpet boost option, Long battery life, 10 x powerful suction.
Carpet boost: It is an advanced option you can find only with this robot vacuum. You can set it to automatic. When it hits a rug it’s going to boost up its power to get better suction. And it’s amazing how it works on carpets.
Yeah. It’s true. Roomba 980 is better than any other robot vacuum for carpet cleaning.
But hold on!!!!. Carpets, not for Thick carpets.
Yeah, Roomba 980’s Carpet boost option may pull out fibers from some high pile carpets (depends on the quality of your carpet).
And speaking of the battery life: It is not as long as it stated (120 minutes). As both 960 and 980 have “recharge and resume” feature having a long battery life is not a significant improvement to be noted.
Roomba 980 is with newer advanced motor provides 10x powerful aero force suction.
And to say, Roomba 980 has one minor considerable downside, In testing, We have noticed its increased sound level while working on carpet.
We don’t recommend this to everyone as far as concerned to justify paying $800 for a robot vacuum.
How Often Should We Clean?
It depends. If you are in a house with children and pets (or) in a high traffic home, the carpets should be cleaned daily. Schedule the robot vacuum to vacuum daily.
How to Vacuum a Thick Long Pile Carpet (Step By Step Guide)
The truth is:
Thick, long pile carpets are not like the medium, low pile ones. You have to be attentive and follow some steps to make your carpets ultra clean and also to extend their lifetime.
Here are the things you need to do:
- Ensure your dirt bin is empty before the robot vacuum is ready to go. (for better performance)
- Replace any obstacles like toys, cables, chairs, furniture or anything that’s on the carpets for avoiding the robot vacuum getting stuck up.
- Also, pick up the large pieces of debris (or) food items sort of like that as the robot vacuum movement might make the stains on the carpet.
- Ensure your robot vacuum fully charged. (Optional, as the robot vacuums listed above has recharge and resume feature, human supervision is not needed for plugin and plug-outs). If the task is done or the battery gets low, it will automatically go back to the docking station.
- Run the robot vacuum. Let it clean for you.
- Select the mode you need. only few robot vacuums like offer modes. The most useful one is the spot cleaning mode useful for cleaning the dirt spots needed to be clean more.
- If you think the carpets need some more cleaning, you can run it twice or thrice. Usually, to say, Robot vacuums enlisted in this guide has dirt detect technology. So it doesn’t give a chance (to you) to point a finger at.
Thick Carpets Maintenace Tips and Tricks
- Empty the robot vacuum’s dirt bin as often as needed.
- Replace HEPA filter every three months. If you are an allergy sufferer or in the home with allergy sufferers, this is highly recommended.
- Do not use any brushes or the robot vacuum with brushed roll on your thick rugs as you don’t want to age your rug before its lifetime.
- Based on the dust, wear and tear and the kind of traffic going in your home, apply steam cleaning at least once a month. The reason steam cleaning is the most effective and efficient method is that it removes the dirt and also the stains flawlessly.
- Set the robot vacuum to run more often. A deep cleaning is necessary to make your carpet looks new and allergic free.
- If the odor is the issue, try sprinkling the mixture of cloves, cinnamon on the carpet before vacuuming. And unfortunately for some reason, if your carpets get stains. Check out this shag carpet stain cleaning tips.
- And don’t follow carpet cleaning tips you find online as a whole, first be sure to test it on a small area of the carpet.
- Finally, be clean. Avoid walking with shoes on carpets. Avoid eating on it. Especially if you have children, don’t allow them to eat it on it. It may look harsh, but keep in mind, even a small stain on the carpet makes your home “not much for looks” and also the stain cleaning process is too hard sometimes.
Stepping on thick carpets feels like having slushy, wooly clouds beneath our feet. As said the only problem with high pile carpets is the debris gets on the rug can reach all the way down to the rug’s base.
And the only secret to maintaining such rugs and carpets is to prevent dirt from accumulating by cleaning them often.