We All Know:
Thick high pile carpets are ultra plush and ultra soft make your home warm and incredibly comfortable.
Well, there is a PROBLEM.
High pile thick carpets require extra care to keep them clean and to maintain their beauty.
Normal cleaning way can damage both the carpets and the vacuums.
What about the robot vacuum for thick carpets?:
Does Robot Vacuums Work on Thick High Pile Carpets? Can Robot Vacuums go over the thick carpets?
YES! BUT NOT ALL ROBOTS.
Most of the present market robot vacuums designed to work on low and medium pile carpets. Not on thick carpets. There are very very few advanced high pile carpet cleaning robot vacuums out there.
First, It is important to know the key features a robot vacuum cleaner should have as not all work on thick carpets:
What to Look for in a Robot Vacuum for Thick Carpet
Best Robot Vacuums for Thick Carpet – Comparison Table
|Roomba 960 |
(Best Value in long run)
|Roomba 890 |
|Gentle Suction||Yes (5X Suction)||Yes (5X Suction)||Yes (10X Suction)|
|Recharge and Resume||Yes||No||Yes|
|Battery Life||60 minutes||75 minutes||120 minutes|
|Wifi and App connectivity||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Check Price||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon||Check on Amazon|
Why Only Roomba’s?
After spending hours of time in research, considering the features needed and the customer reviews from various sources, we compiled this list. These Vacuums are with:
- Powerful suction.
- Rubber rollers (tangle free extractors).
- Larger wheels.
- HEPA filters.
Roomba 960 – #1 Recommended Choice for Thick Carpets (All round robot vacuum)
Roomba 960 is from the veteran company Irobot.
Its super slim profile makes it low enough to get fit underneath any furniture edges and under cabinets.
Its larger wheels (auto adjustable height) and lightweight structure make the Roomba move easily between the rugs and normal floors effortlessly. So carpets height is not a problem for this Roomba.
The key aspect that makes it great for cleaning thick high pile carpets is that it offers suction five times the air power compared to the normal robot vacuums strong enough to grab the dust and pet hair effectively from deep inside the carpet depending on how fluffy your carpet is though.
And like every present robot vacuums, Roomba 960 came up with Wifi connectivity app which is actually so useful letting you do everything that a robot vacuum can.
Another important feature to talk, the cleaning modes, especially the spot cleaning mode which is so beneficial. By setting it, you can get it to one particular area rather than doing the whole room. Great for cleaning plush carpets where extra care is needed.
The only disadvantage with Roomba 960 is its increased sound level while working on carpet.
Roomba 960 has an advanced feature, the Visual mapping feature. The camera and sensors armed with will map out your home so that the robot knows exactly where it is in relation to the dock and the areas it is already covered.
Roomba 960 is with the rubber brushroll extractors (tangle free) prevent high pile fibers and pet hairs from tangling. No brush cleaning necessary compared to the other robot vacuums.
Roomba 890 – Works on Thick Carpets (Affordable model)
Powerful suction, larger wheels, brushless rubber rollers. This is the only affordable Roomba model from Irobot with all these advanced features.
Designed keeping all floor types and surfaces in mind.
Taking out extra features like Visual Mapping, Recharge – resume, and the long battery life, 890 is almost identical to the Roomba 960.
Recharge – resume is the feature which backs this robot to the second position in this list. For small to medium sized homes, it will not be a problem.
Roomba 980 – Expensive model
Irobot’s Roomba 980 is one of their top of the line Roomba model just a sort of an incremental upgrade compared to 960.
The 980 is ditto the same in terms of overall features with the following improvements: Carpet boost option, Long battery life, 10 x powerful suction.
Carpet boost: It is an advanced option when it hits a rug it automatically boosts up its power to get better suction works great on thick carpets where pet hair is also a major problem.
Yeah. Because of its strong 10X powerful suction, we can easily say that Roomba 980 is THE BEST for high pile carpets cleaning.
But a Quick Note:
It came up with an extra side cleaning brush to get the dirt out from the edges and the corners of the room, an extra filter, and the handy virtual wall that limits where your Roomba can go.
How Often Should We Clean?
It depends. If you are in a house with children and pets (or) in a high traffic home, these carpets should be cleaned daily. Schedule the robot vacuum to vacuum daily.
How to Vacuum a Long Pile Carpet (Step By Step Guide)
The truth is:
Thick, deep pile carpets are not like the medium, low pile ones. You have to be attentive and follow some steps to make your carpets ultra clean and also to extend their lifespan.
Here are the things you need to do:
- Ensure your dirt bin is empty before the robot vacuum is ready to go (for better performance).
- Replace any obstacles like toys, cables, chairs, furniture or anything that’s on the carpets for avoiding the robot vacuum getting stuck up.
- Also, pick up the large pieces of debris (or) food items sort of like that as the robot vacuum movement might make stains on the carpet.
- Ensure your robot vacuum fully charged. (Optional, as the robot vacuums listed above has recharge and resume feature, human supervision is not needed for plugin and plug-outs). If the task is done or the battery gets low, it will automatically go back to the docking station.
- Run the robot vacuum. Let it clean for you.
- Select the mode you need. only a few robot vacuums offer modes. The most useful one is the spot cleaning mode useful for cleaning the dirt spots needed to be clean more.
- If you think the rugs need some more cleaning, you can run it twice or thrice. Usually, to say, Robot vacuums we recommended in this guide has dirt detect technology. So it doesn’t give a chance (to you) to point a finger at.
Thick Carpets Maintenace Tips:
- Empty the robot vacuum’s dirt bin as often as needed.
- Replace HEPA filter every three months. If you are an allergy sufferer or in the home with allergy sufferers, this is highly recommended.
- Do not use any brushes or the robot vacuum with brushed roll on your thick rugs as you don’t want to age your rug before its lifetime.
- Based on the dust, wear and tear and the kind of traffic going in your home, apply steam cleaning at least once a month. The reason steam cleaning is the most effective and efficient method is that it removes the dirt and also the stains flawlessly.
- Set the robot vacuum to run more often. Deep cleaning is necessary to make your carpet looks new and allergic free.
- If the odor is the issue, try sprinkling the mixture of cloves, cinnamon on the rug before vacuuming.
- And don’t follow carpet cleaning tips you find online as a whole, first be sure to test it on a small area of the carpet.
- Finally, be clean. Avoid walking with shoes on carpets. Avoid eating on it. Keep in mind, even a small stain on the carpet makes your home “not much for looks” and also the stain cleaning process is too hard sometimes.
- And we all know everything is not in our control every time. So for some reason, if your carpets get stains. Check out this shag carpet stain cleaning tips.
Stepping on thick carpets feels like having slushy, wooly clouds beneath our feet.
And the best perfect solution for maintaining such shag high pile carpets is to prevent dirt from accumulating by cleaning them often using these high efficient robot vacuum cleaners which saves both your effort and valuable time.